MacroView DMS and DMS Pro provide a number of ways to attach a file stored in SharePoint to a new or drafted email message.
Attach to an empty email message
If you have not opened a new email message, the simplest way to send a file as an attachment is to:
- Locate the file you wish to send in any MacroView file list, right-click it and select Send As > File.
MacroView DMS will create a new email message and automatically insert the selected file as an attachment.
Above: How to attach a SharePoint file to a new email message
Attach to an email message
If you have already started to compose or drafted an email message and wish to add an attachment before you send it, you have two options:
- Using the Insert Attachment button
- In the new email window, navigate to the top toolbar/ribbon, ensure the Message tab is selected and locate the MacroView group. The MacroView group contains a range of buttons linking your email message to your SharePoint environment.
- Click the Insert Attachment and then navigate your SharePoint environment to find the file(s) you wish to attach to your email. Once located, select the file(s) and click the Insert button to proceed.
- The file(s) will then be downloaded from SharePoint and attached to your new email message.
- Drag and drop
- Navigate your SharePoint environment to find the file(s) you wish to attach to your email and then drag and drop them to the body of the email message.
- Your file(s) will then be downloaded from SharePoint and attached to your new email message.
Above: How to use Insert Attachment to attach files stored in SharePoint to an email message
Advanced tip: Send attachment as a Link
If you are sending the email to another user who has access to the same SharePoint environment your file is located in, you may want to consider sending them a hyperlink to the file in its SharePoint location, rather than embed that file as an attachment.
There are several benefits to this, including:
- Reducing pressure on the Exchange server
- Removes the risk of the file being out-of-date
- Stops document duplication since you can all collaborate and work on the same file