The MacroView Case and Matter Solution provides the perfect design in SharePoint Online and on-premise SharePoint for managing document and emails in any organisation or business unit where activity is arranged as Cases or Matters - e.g. Corporate Legal Departments.
When used in conjunction with MacroView DMF which is part of MacroView Case and Matter users can quickly and easily create new matters in SharePoint that are configured to automatically capture useful matter, document and email metadata when storing files.
About the Case and Matter SharePoint structure
The MacroView Case and Matter Solution is an out-of-the-box SharePoint structure designed to capture metadata important to law firms and legal departments.
The out-of-the-box structure contains the following:
- A site collection for each of your business projects and/or divisions (e.g. HR, Finance, IT, Clients). The example below shows a single site collection for Clients and Matters.
- Each site collection contains sites relevant to that collection. For example, the site collection Clients and Matters below contains SharePoint sites for each of client (e.g. C0001 Australia Post.).
- Each site contains one or more SharePoint document libraries containing matters specific to that client. Below the C0001 Australia Post client site has a single Matters library.
- Each matter is a document set which automatically propagates its metadata, such as client name and matter number, to all files stored within it. In the example below there are multiple matter document sets (e.g. 1000 - City Pathways, 1002 - Priority Delivery)
- Each matter document set can optionally contain any number of folders and sub folders.
See the screenshot below for a visual representation of the design.
If your organisation has an existing SharePoint structure or would like to customise the metadata captured by SharePoint, contact MacroView Services to get in touch with a professional SharePoint consultant.
Provisioning a MacroView Case and Matter site collection
Download MacroView Solution Provisioning
The easiest way to provision MacroView Case and Matter site collections is using the MacroView Solution Provisioning plug-in for MacroView DMF and MacroView Message.
Creating a Case and Matter site collection
You can either create new MacroView Case and Matter site collections or you can apply the solution to any existing site collection, OneDrive for Business site or Microsoft Teams site.
There are two site collection designs available:
- MacroView Case and Matter. This is the default design for managing matter documents and emails with Matter Type and Document Type metadata recorded in managed metadata columns.
- MacroView Case and Matter (choice). For managing matter documents and emails with Matter Type and Document type metadata recorded in choice columns. This is an alternate design for setting up collections if you do not have the required permissions to create managed metadata term sets.
New Site Collection
Simply right-click on the SharePoint Online tenant node and select Provision > New Site Collection
Select the required site collection solution, complete the other details then click OK.
If you want to include and Matter List in the site collection to manage the automatic allocation of unique matter numbers as they are created within this site collection, check the Create List option. If you do not check this option when creating a site collection you can always add the Matter List later using the Add Site Collection Components option on the Provision menu.
Note: For on-premises SharePoint the site collection must be created in the browser and the MacroView Case and Matter components then added using the Add Site Collection Components option on the Provision menu (see below).
Existing Site Collection
To apply the MacroView Case and Matter Solution to an existing site collection, right-click the site collection and select Add Site Collection Components
Select the required site collection component and click OK.
Creating a client site
Once the MacroView Case and Matter Solution is applied to a site collection users with appropriate permissions can create new client sites by right clicking on the site collection and selecting Provision > New Site.
Select the required site type, complete the other details then click OK.
Note: the Title will automatically be recorded as the client name and the URL stem will be recorded as the client number.
Creating a Matters library
When you create a new Client Site a default Matters library is automatically included in the site. You can use this single matters library for all matters or you can create additional matter libraries to group your matters (e.g. you might have a separate matters library for reach year)
To create additional matters libraries, simply right click on the client site and select Provision>New Library.
Select the required Library Type, complete the other details then click OK.
If you have added the MacroView Case and Matter Solution to an existing site collection and want to update an existing library to make it a matters library, simply right-click on the library and select Provision > Add Library Components
Matter Library Views
Each matter library will include a number of standard views.
Creating a Matter List
MacroView Case and Matter can be configured to assign a unique matter number to each new matter document set that is created. Where you create the matter list will determine if the numbering is assigned sequentially for each site or site collection.
To assign sequential matter numbers across the site collection check the Create List option when creating the site collection or add the list later using Provision > Add Site Collection Components. To assign the numbering separately within each client site, add the matter list to the client site using Provision > Add Site Components
For more information on matter numbering and creating a central matter list see this article: How to enable central matter numbering and custom number positioning
Creating a New Matter
To create a new matter within matters library, right-click on the library and select Create New Matter
If you have matter sub folders configured, select the required matter sub folder structure from the sub menu. If they are not configured there will be no sub menu, simply select Create New Matter.
For more information on configuring sub folders for different matter types see this article: Add sub folders to newly created matters
The Create New Matter dialog will appear, prompting you to enter properties for your new matter.
Fill in these properties and click the OK button to create your matter document set.
If you have a matter list configured, the next available matter number will be automatically assigned and added to the beginning of the matter name.
Setting up search
MacroView Case and Matter includes a few standard search panels designed to search for documents and emails based on the the metadata that MacroView Case and Matter automatically assigns. These include:
- Keyword Search
- Email Search
- Matter Documents
If this is the first MacroView Case and Matter site collection you have created and you have not previously configured the SharePoint search properties, you will need to have your SharePoint administrator setup search to work with the MacroView Case and Matter properties before you can use these search panels to search for files.
Configuring SharePoint search is recommended for experienced SharePoint users only. If you require help setting up search during your evaluation, please contact MacroView Services for assistance.
If you do not wish to configure search, want to configure it at a later time or are unsure about how to get started, you are able to end your installation here and evaluate all the features of MacroView Case and Matter 365 without search capabilities.
Configuring SharePoint Online (Office 365) search to work with custom metadata columns and content types requires some effort and patience.
MacroView Help Centre has an index of search configuration articles which include all knowledge base articles related to search. The most relevant articles to learn about MacroView search and configure it include:
- FAQ: MacroView DMF and Message search panels - Answers frequently asked questions about MacroView search, providing a general breakdown of how it works and what you are able to achieve.
- Search configuration for SharePoint Online (Office 365) - Provides a step-by-step guide on how to configure search for your SharePoint Online (Office 365) environment.
Start saving and working with documents an emails
You can now use MacroView DMF to drag-and-drop, save, open and store documents and emails in your new matter location.
More Information on MacroView DMF
- Using MacroView DMF 365 - Series of short videos that briefly demonstrate how you can use MacroView DMF 365 to manage documents and emails.
- Getting started with MacroView DMF - List of articles that show how to complete common tasks such as capturing metadata, automatic email filing and more. Recommended for beginners and existing users needing a refresh.
- Blog: Managing Documents and Emails in Office 365 with MacroView.
- Browse the MacroView DMF product page.