MacroView DMF and MacroView Message are available for use with on-premises SharePoint and with SharePoint Online (Microsoft 365).
- DMF and Message can be used with both on-premises SharePoint and with SharePoint Online (Microsoft 365)
- MacroView DMF 365 and MacroView Message 365 can only be used with SharePoint Online (Office 365).
When DMF or Message is used with on-premises SharePoint a full trust web service is usually installed on the SharePoint server providing additional functionality not available when running in Client Side Only (CSO) mode or against SharePoint Online (Office 365).
On-premises SharePoint server features
The list below shows the features available when accessing an on-premises SharePoint server running the full trust web service that are not available when accessing SharePoint Online (Microsoft 365) or an on-premise server in Client Side Only (CSO) mode.
- Display of the tree structure that copes with breaks in permission inheritance – The user can access areas below the inheritance break if they contain other areas for which the user has permission. When running on SharePoint Online (Office 365) or Client Side Only the MacroView tree display stops at the first break in permission inheritance.
- Audit History – The right click option to display a report of usage activity on a document.
- Version history - version history is maintained if you move to Office 365 from on-premises server, but not if you move in the opposite direction.
- Optional Enhanced Document Security module that makes it easy for a user to manage permissions.
- Custom Library Templates - Right-click, Create Library with custom library templates. See MacroView Provisioning Tool.
- External Metadata – support for External metadata columns which allow documents to be classified by using metadata retrieved from an external system.
- Optional MacroView Unique Document Numbering server module which allows an organisation to number documents sequentially across the whole document store (i.e. across multiple Site Collections).
- Optional MacroView Predictive Email Filing module which suggests save locations or automatically file emails. See Corporate Email Filing (CEF) instead.
- Integration with external systems – e.g. to provision new sites and libraries in the SharePoint document store structure as Clients and Projects are created in a Line of Business system.
- Folder Level Defaults are only supported if hidden.
SharePoint Online (Microsoft 365) features
The list below shows the features available when accessing SharePoint Online (Microsoft365) or an on-premise server in Client Side Only (CSO) mode that are not available when accessing an on-premises SharePoint server.
- Push Favourites - MacroView Push Favorites is an optional module that automates the creation of favorites for users. MacroView Push Favorites is managed by using a subscription list in your SharePoint environment.
- Personal Views - You can create personal views of document libraries to show the columns and items that are most important to you when working with MacroView DMF or MacroView Message.
- Create folders and documents from the File List Toolbar - The 'New' button on the File List Toolbar in MacroView DMF and Message allows you to create new folders, document sets, documents and emails in the selected location.
- Find Files - The Find Files control above the file list allows you to quickly locate any documents or emails containing the entered text in their metadata or content from the current location or any of the current locations sub folders.
- Moving Folders or Document sets - MacroView DMF and Message 365 allow an entire folder or document set to be moved from one location to another within the same SharePoint Online tenant.
- Reduced impact of List View Threshold (LVT) - Users can page through all the items in a view even when the view contains more than the LVT number of items.